Monday, December 7, 2009

One second

One second can change your life. One second can change everything. One second can put you in field goal range, you make the field goal, and then your favorite team is going to the National Championship game. Thank goodness for that one second :)
Hehe I bet you thought this was some profound blog about a life changing event. Nope, just about the most stressful, yet exciting game I've ever experienced. Saturday, Texas played Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship game and it was a nailbiter. It was insane. Neither defense was letting anyone by, both offenses were playing pretty bad, and the officials seemed to have been taken off the street and offered the job right before the game. So it came down to the last play with one second left and a kicker who is now my hero. I sat at the tip top of the Cowboy stadium swaying with nausea, knees feeling like they were going to buckle, and a slight feeling that if something didn't happen soon then I would certainly pass out. See Nebraska thought the game was over when McCoy threw his last pass and so they stormed the field and started to celebrate. Tisk, tisk Huskers. But there was a review and whispers in the stands that the clock was wrong. The judgement on the field: there was ONE second left of game play. Mack sends out our kicker and there is a hush among Horns fans. I can't take it anymore. I sit in my chair, pound my head into my hands, and begin fervently praying to Heavenly Father that we will not lose this game. A selfish and unimportant prayer to most, but you don't don't know my father. The guy who's life revolves around Texas Longhorn football, the guy who chose his career around the football schedule, and the guy who already had his reservations set in Pasadena, CA banking on this win. Yes, THAT guy. I did not want to drive home with that guy, spend the rest of the weekend with that guy, and gosh darn it I did not want him to be unhappy. So I kept my head down and my eyes closed. There was a hush, then cheering, and I looked up to see a smile on my dad's face which can mean only one thing. We won! We WON! One second and one point, and Texas is heading to the National Championship. Now all this obsession may seem crazy to you, but for me, the little girl in the cheerleading outfit who held her dad's hand as they entered the stadium all those years ago, it was pretty darn awesome. Hook em Horns, and thanks for an awesome game.

As you can tell, we spent the weekend in Keller attending the Big 12 game. Thanks so much to mom and dad for a great weekend and for taking us. We loved it. We also got to meet up with Tami and Jason to eat before the game and tailgate before and after. Seriously, best game ever. Then on Sunday we got to see Ben, Mer, and the girls. A great weekend all around.

3 comments:

Crysta said...

It was a heck of a game wasn't it!! I thought about you guys during that last second of the game. Glad they pulled it off!

Meredith said...

Awww, wish I could have been there to see your dad's face - as it was, I was trying to tell Sydney why the guy in the Nutcracker looked like he wasn't wearing any pants but was in fact wearing tights! That's way better! :)

Adrienne said...

HAHA the Sydney pants story is hilarious! Made my day!